2016 will forever be the year we traveled the globe, visiting exotic locales, soaking up different cultures, basking in so many of the world’s greatest treasures. 2017, by contrast, was a year of re-assimilating and settling in — we moved back to San Francisco, renovated our apartment, started new jobs, established a routine, and in large part….didn’t travel much at all. Partly, that’s because our travel funds were spent, but also because the other stuff (jobs, house, etc.) was all-consuming.
So in September, when I had finally accrued enough time for a week off (you guys, the work-vacation struggle is real), we wanted to make the most of our travels.
Naturally, we went to Secrets, an all-inclusive resort in Los Cabos, Mexico which is known for SPRING BREAK more than any kind of authentic Mexican culture.
Except…wait. That doesn’t sound like us at all! Exactly one year before, we were in Africa hanging out with elephants, drinking goat’s blood, chumming it up with Maasai fuckin’ warriors.
What the hell happened to us?
Nothing happened to us, friends. Nothing. I assure you, we’ll get back to more adventurous travel soon, but I’m here to tell you something you may not know:
ALL INCLUSIVE RESORTS ARE AWESOME. It’s truly one of the most relaxing trips we’ve EVER taken, and we think of our 5 days there about as lovingly as we think of Thailand or Nepal.
Don’t believe me? Fine.
Let me enlighten you with 5 all-inclusive myth busting facts you may not realize:
(NOTE: We were in no way compensated for this post…although we should have been)
1. The food is delicious. Secrets has 7 restaurants, ranging from fancy Italian to hibachi, and it’s all totally legit and GOOD. I would’ve been content with the bomb nachos and guacamole, but all the options were actually incredible, leaving me SAT.IS.FIED. ANNNND, the drinks are good, too. Secrets has all top shelf liquor, y’all! But here’s the pro-tip: you have to ask for it. If you don’t specify your liquor choice, they’ll give you something shittier. Ask (for grey goose) and you shall receive (grey goose).
2. It’s affordable. Okay, so this trip definitely wouldn’t have fit into our budget when we were traveling last year, but CheapCarribean.com gets you great deals on some of the best resorts, and includes airfare. All you need when you get there is tips. Not to mention, it’s a beautiful thing to be transaction free for a couple days.
3. It’s close. Okay, this is a subjective myth, but from San Francisco, it’s a THREE HOUR nonstop flight. Californians, rejoice.
4. There are no children. Far from KOA’s, Disneyland other family friend destinations, Secrets promises peaceful getaway, free from children. Sure, it’s the pricier option, but it’s worth it. No offense to your kids, except that they have a tendency to kill my vibe.
5. It’s beautiful. It turns out the beaches, and surrounding mountains in Los Cabos are BEAUTIFUL. Ahem:
Also, the sunsets. I didn’t take any photos because I was LIVING IN THE GODDAMN PRESENT, but let me assure you, they’re epic.
….I could go on, but I won’t. And if I haven’t convinced you, perhaps this absolutely absurd video will entice you. (Be warned, it’s seriously NSFW):