There is no one right way to wear your hair. Throughout history, women and men have styled their hair in endless ways, using a variety of techniques and products. Today, there are still many unique and exotic hairstyles from around the world that are worth exploring. Whether you’re looking for a new style to try or just interested in learning about some of the more unusual options out there, read on for a look at some of the most interesting hairstyles from around the globe.
Traditional hairstyles from around the world
There’s no denying that hairstyles from around the world are becoming more and more popular. From sleek and straight to big and bouncy, there’s a style to suit everyone. And with so many different cultures to choose from, there’s bound to be a hairdo that you’ll love.
If you’re looking for something a little bit different, why not try one of these unique and exotic hairstyles from around the world?
- Ghana braids, also known as banana braids, are a popular choice in Africa. They’re usually cornrowed close to the scalp and can be styled in a variety of ways.
- Boxer braids have been worn by celebrities such as Kim Kardashian and Cara Delevingne. They’re two braids that are plaited close to the head, giving a sleek and stylish look.
- The Faux Hawk is a daring hairstyle that’s perfect for those who want to make a statement. It’s usually styled with gel or pomade to give it a spiked look.
- Bantu knots are popular among African women. They’re small, tight knots that are usually worn in clusters on the head.
- Peruvian hair is becoming increasingly popular due to its softness and shine. It’s often used to create extensions and wigs.
- Japanese straightening is a popular way to achieve straight, sleek hair. The process involves using chemicals to break down the hair’s structure before it’s blown dry and flat ironed.
- The Beehive is a classic hairstyle that’s been worn by everyone from Audrey Hepburn to Amy Winehouse. It’s a timeless style that can be dressed up or down.
- Cornrows are an enduring hairstyle that originated in Africa. They’re usually cornrowed close to the scalp and can be styled in a variety of ways.
- The Afro is a big, bold hairstyle that’s perfect for those who want to make a statement. It’s usually worn naturally or with extensions.
- Dreadlocks are an iconic hairstyle that’s been worn by everyone from Bob Marley to Lenny Kravitz. They’re usually achieved by not brushing or combing the hair, allowing it to form into mats.
Hair care secrets from around the world
- In Japan, women (and men) take great care of their hair—shampooing daily, using conditioner, and treating their locks with regularity.
- French women are known for their effortless je ne sais quoi and much of that is thanks to their focus on healthy hair care habits.
- Scandinavian women have some of the most enviable hair in the world and it’s no coincidence. Nordic countries like Sweden have a long tradition of taking excellent care of one’s tresses.
- If you want shiny, voluminous hair à la Sofia Vergara, look no further than her homeland of Colombia. South American countries tend to have extremely humid climates, which can wreak havoc on hair.
- Indian women have been using natural ingredients to care for their hair for centuries. Coconut oil is a popular choice, as it’s known to nourish and strengthen hair.
- Women in the Middle East have long been using olive oil to achieve lustrous, healthy hair.
- If you want beachy waves like the Australian surfer girls, you’ll need to put in some effort. Australian women are vigilant about protecting their hair from the harsh sun and salt water by using leave-in conditioners and regular trims.